Saturday, January 07, 2012

Senki Zesshou Symphogear - Episode 1


Kanade and Tsubasa~

This was truly a stellar start to a series which I picked up at the last minute. What I wanted was delivered to me right in the beginning with that budget-blowing concert. The song 逆光のフリューゲル (which I believe is the title of the song that was performed) worked extremely well as a means of immersing the viewer in the episode. Even though it has only been one episode, the slew of songs (some of which I found interesting since they were neither Japanese or English) that were sung throughout makes me wonder if and hope that the rest of the episodes will be similar in style.

Though a bit confusing at first, I found the episode to be full of suspenseful parts which were followed by unexpected twists. It's not often that you see one of the poster characters die in the first episode but I have a feeling that'll be explained some time later. Also, I got some Madoka vibes while watching the shocking scene of an innocent, young girl's body being pierced by shrapnel from a spear. With all these surprises, this series doesn't seem as simple as I thought. From the look of things, I'm starting to get more interested in the story, despite the fact that I said I'd most likely overlook that for the music in my preview. It's amusing how my view of the show can change so drastically after a single episode. With a excellent cliffhanger ending wrapping up this episode, it'll be interesting to see how the story progresses now. If I were to predict, it'd probably be wrong since I failed doing so many times in this episode already.

As for the characters, Tsubasa and Kanade remind me of Chihaya and Haruka from THE iDOLM@STER. Not only do they share similar hair colors and personalities, but there's also one (Kanade/Haruka) who tries her best to support and cheer up the other (Tsubasa/Chihaya). Tachibana Hibiki is also a notable character. I immediately recognized Aoi Yūki's voice when Hibiki started talking and I felt that she's doing a good job with the character thus far. I'm hoping Tsubasa gets more screentime in the later episodes, as well as Hibiki playing a bigger role (the cliffhanger foreshadows that?).

Looking back at this episode, I can't imagine how much of this show's budget was spent on this episode alone. Everything from the concert to the battle scene with the Noise must have cost a ton. I fear that this will affect the quality of the later episodes but I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that it doesn't. It'd be a disappointment if the rest of the episodes fail to even come to close to this one in terms of quality. For now, I guess all I can do is look forward to next week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment